The Friday Five with BBV’s Ed Valentine
It’s time for another special off-season edition of the ‘Friday Five’ with Big blue View’s Ed Valentine. Read on to see Ed’s answers to my questions and then pop on over to Big Blue View to see what he asked me.
1. Ok, Ed I know we haven’t seen the rookie draft class yet, but give me your take on what they did and what they didn’t do.
They did what the Giants generally do — stay patient and let the draft unfold, not try to force it. I found it interesting that the ‘best player available’ so consistently matched up with Giants’ needs. Amazing how that happens, isn’t it?
2. How about the undrafted guys. Any names in particular jump out at you as a guy who might be able to contribute.
Well, we will of course be paying to attention to Joe Martinek of Rutgers because of the regional connection. The safety, Janzen Jackson, appears to be a guy that analysts think has some ability. And, with apologies to Tyler Sash fans, there really isn’t anyone you are sure you can count on behind Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips.
3. So with the addition of these rookies, some veterans would appear to be in jeopardy. Who do you think is on the bubble as of this writing?
The one name that leaps to mind is Ramses Barden. I think the Giants have waited a long time for Barden, and with Reuben Randle and even some of the UDFAs they brought in if Barden doesn’t step up and have a big training camp/preseason he could be in trouble. Barden is a guy the Giants traded up for in the draft, and I thought it was a shot at Barden when Reese said this after the draft: “We’re a little bit leery of moving up and taking guys. We’ve done that in the past and I don’t think our success has been very good.”
4. Was there a position that they didn’t pick that surprised you?
Well, I would say safety …except that there were only a couple of real impact safeties in the draft.
5. What area do you think they still need to address between now and the start of the season?
Right now I just am not convinced that Tyler Sash can be the third safety. It wouldn’t surprise me if they looked to find someone there. Also, I know they signed Shaun Rogers but another defensive tackle to compete for a roster spot would still be a good idea.